Monday 13 June 2011

New beginnings!

Hey, everyone. Welcome to my Slimming World blog. So, 3 things:

1) My name is Katie, I'm 24 and I live in Manchester
2) I hate my weight
3) This is how I look:



And I aim to change that.

Today was the day I joined SlimmingWorld. To be honest, I was dragged along by my mum, who's been citing the idea for ages. I wasn't too keen on the idea. Loads of women sitting around talking endlessly about their weight, or loads of fabulously skinny women who still smugly turned up at meetings sounded like my idea of Hell. But Mum and I seem to have been on a diet for about 10 years with no results, and I thought it would stop her nagging at me to lose weight if I showed up at a few meetings and pretended to take an interest.

So, I went along to my local rugby club. Mum went last week - and even though she said it wasn't her cup of tea, talking in front of people and applauding all the time, she still insisted on me trying it. It was a bit daunting at first - and the original consultant was away, so I was welcomed by Joan, who gave me a huge pack to look through. Bit scary to be honest, all full of buzzwords and phrases that made me roll my eyes. Spent most of the meeting flicking through it, trying to understand exactly how the whole "Food Optimising" thing worked. The whole thing sounded incredibly corny - the usual dietry cliche's of "Oh look, I used to be heavy but now I eat fresh fruit and handfuls of vegetables every day and I LOVE it!!!" I thought it all looked like total nonsense - no-one who's ever been fat and lived on a steady diet of junk food (like me) could suddenly enjoy eating "rabbit food," as I called it.

But then Joan stuck a DVD on and I was stunned. You see before and after photos in magazines all the time - thinking "Well OBVIOUSLY they're two different people" or "They've had a gastric band fitted - that doesn't count." But these were REAL men and women, and they'd all done SlimmingWorld. My jaw dropped, as beautiful person after beautiful person appeared on camera, following photos of their former enormous selves. I couldn't believe that people were capable of losing so many stones without any surgical help. Next thing I knew, images of myself in "after" poses were flashing through my head - and in them, I looked incredible. With every shocked gasp emmanating from other group members, my resolve strengthened more and more, and I realised that maybe this "Food Optimising" thing was just worth a go.

When we left the meeting, Mum took me straight to Tesco to stock up on healthy "Free" foods for the flat. So as I sit here buzzing, my fridge is stocked with loads of healthy food, the kind of stuff I didn't think I'd be able to eat on a diet, to be honest. Finished up my takeaway prawn curry from last night, and vowed it would be the last fattening thing to cross my lips.

Forgot to mention, I was weighed at the beginning of the session. Nearly had a heart attack - apparently I weigh 17 stone and 1.5lb. I'm only 24 years old, and wondering how the hell it came to this - had no idea I was that overweight. I've certainly never looked in the mirror and seen myself as "obese." I've never been HAPPY with my weight - but instead of giving the usual "fat people" excuses - my reason was the one that no-one ever says..... I'm just too lazy. Losing weight takes more effort that I could be bothered with. I'm fairly happy in my life at the moment, and Joel (my boyfriend) never had any problem with my weight - other than being slightly frustrated with me when I lagged on walks. Whilst I'd get annoyed with finding clothes-shopping difficult, I've still always been a chirpy person, and found no real reason to change. But I wasn't expecting that..... 17 stone. Felt utterly horrified when Joan wrote it in my book. Didn't feel any better when Mum told me she'd lost half a stone in one week. She was always a lot more motivated than me - especially when it came to walking and such. And the whole "I'm 24 years older than you, you should be finding this easier than me!" spiel never helped. Still, as Joan pointed out at the weighing - "You will never see this weight again." And that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment